- Unsalted butter or olive oil
- 4 slices sweet or sourdough French bread or firm white sandwich bread
- About 2 ounces broken or chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, or ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Coarse sea salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar mixed with ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Butter one side of each slice of bread generously or pour 2 T olive oil in skillet and swirl to coat.
- In a skillet big enough to hold them, cook the slices butter side down over medium heat, just until pale gold on one side.
- Put chocolate on two of the slices. Cover pan to make chocolate melt quicker.
- Flip a naked slice on top, butter side up.
- Cook, turning the sandwiches as necessary, until the chocolate is softened and the sandwiches are browned on both sides.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and/or cinnamon-sugar, if using, and serve immediately.
- Variation: Spread 2 T of peanut butter on the other slice of bread to make a Grilled Peanut Butter and Chocolate Sandwich.