- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon annatto powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, break rice to separate grains.
- In a wok or wide, heavy bottomed skillet over high heat, combine butter and oil. Heat until butter is melted. Add onions, garlic and bell pepper. Cook, stirring regularly, until limp. Add annatto powder and turmeric powder. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, for about 1 minute.
- Add rice and gently toss to fully coat. Spread the rice on entire cooking surface of pan for about 45 seconds or until grains start to sizzle and then toss again to redistribute.
- Add soy sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook, tossing gently, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until rice grains are heated through and evenly colored. Serve hot.
- Notes: For best results, make sure fried rice is cooked in high heat. I used butter to add depth of flavor but I added an equal amount of oil to raise the smoke point of butter and prevent it from burning.