- 1 kilo beef shank (with bone and marrow); cut in chunks
- 1 small head cabbage (repolyo); quartered
- 1/4 kilo Chinese cabbage (pechay)
- 2 potatoes; quartered
- 1 onion; sliced
- 4 cloves garlic; crushed
- 2 corns; cut in halves
- 3/4 tablespoon peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- Fish sauce
- 1 lemon or 5 kalamansi
- Soy sauce
- Fry potatoes in 3 minutes. Set aside
- In a stock pot, stew the beef shank (with bone and marrow) with salt, onion, and garlic for at least one hour.
- Remove the scum that rises above the soup. Add more hot water if necessary.
- When beef is fork tender, add the corn, potato, and peppercorns.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Add cabbage and Chinese cabbage.
- Season with fish sauce according to taste.
- Remove from fire and serve hot with a mixture consisting of soy sauce and lemon or kalamansi juice.
- Boiling the Bulalo slowly and gently over low heat brings out the flavor of the meat, and keeps the meat very tender.
- But but but….if you don’t have much time and you want to expedite the cooking process, use “pressure cooker” to soften the meat of the beef shank or oxtail. When tender, add the necessary ingredients.