- 12 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 can (354 mL) evaporated milk (or whole milk)
- 1 can (410 mL) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- water, for steaming
For the caramel:
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- Prepare individual llanera (or two 9 x 2 in. / 23 x 5 cm. flan molds); set aside.
- Prepare the Caramel: In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil; reduce the heat to low before adding the sugar. Stir continuously for about 2 minutesoruntil the sugar caramelizes or turns amber. Immediately pour thecaramelized sugar into prepared individual flan molds. Swirl the flan molds to evenly spread the caramel. Set the molds aside.
- Prepare the steamer. Place a steamer in a large saucepan or a wok. Pour in water to just below the steamer; bring to boil.
- In a bowl, combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, sugar and vanilla. Gently pass the beaten eggs through a strainer into the bowl. Stir to combine and mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared flan molds containing the caramel.
- Cover the molds with aluminum foil, arrange into the steamer (water should already boiling before placing the molds inside); steam for 30minutes or until firm. Set aside to cool and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To serve: Run a knife along the edges of the flan molds to loosen. For individual flans, turn the molds over onto a platter or individual plates. For a larger flans, place a platter on top of the mold; holding the platter tightly tothe mold, quickly turn upside down. The flan should come out easily withthe caramel on top.
- Serves 6 to 8. Enjoy this amazing dessert!