- 500ml/2.25cups water
- 300g/1.5 cups long grain rice (not easy cook rice)
- 2.5 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 5 rashers of streaky bacon, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped finely (optional)
- 1 green chilli, chopped finely (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. dark soy sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ bunch of spring onions/scallions chopped
- 1 finely chopped chilli
- Bring the water to a boil and pour in the rice (no need to rinse). Give it a stir so that the rice is covered by the water, put a lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes on the lowest heat on your smallest burner.
- After 20 minutes, take the lid off and spread out the rice onto a tray. Leave to cool, uncovered for 20-30 minutes (until room temperature), then cover with clingfilm/plastic wrap and place in the fridge until you're ready to use (make sure you use the rice within 24 hours).
- When you're ready to make the rice, heat ½ tbsp. of the oil in a large wok or frying pan add the bacon to the wok and fry on a high heat until the bacon is crispy. Spoon the bacon into a bowl.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and then add the onion. Cook, stirring regularly on a medium heat for 5 minutes until the onions are starting to turn soft and translucent. Add in the red and green bell peppers, the red and green chillies and the garlic. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Now add the rice and cook on a high heat. Use a spatula to ensure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, and move the rice around so that it's all getting reheated. Once the rice is hot (this will take about 5 minutes), push the rice over to the side of the pan and crack the two eggs in the space. Making sure this bit of the pan is over the heat, fry the eggs, giving a mix with the spatula until the egg starts to cook and look scrambled. Now mix the egg into the rice. Add the bacon back in. Pour in the soy sauce and salt and mix it all together until the bacon is hot.
- Squirt in the lemon juice, stir and then divide between three bowls. Top with spring onion.